ASWSU staying busy through the summer

ASWSU is working through the summer to prepare for an influx of freshmen and other students in the fall. Additionally, they’re planning a number of events geared toward improving their leadership abilities.

One project, the Cougar Commitment summer goals checklist, holds ASWSU members accountable and gives students the opportunity to see what their student government is working on, ASWSU President Jared Powell said.

Powell said the ASWSU executive staff is also meeting with various state legislators and planning for the Pac-12 Student Leader Summit.

“We’re actually lucky enough to host the Pac-12 Summit here in Pullman,” Powell said. “[It] basically brings our student government counterparts from all the other universities in the Pac-12 together – a great way to kind of bounce ideas these ideas off each other, make those connections, see how other universities do things.”

The summit will take place Aug. 7 through 9.

ASWSU is also planning for the annual Cougar Leadership Retreat (CLR), which will take place before the fall semester starts.

ASWSU Vice President LaKecia Farmer said about 100 students from various WSU organizations come together each year to learn more about leadership.

As part of that celebration, ASWSU is in the process of planning the Colorado Street Carnival, for which they hope to acquire permits to shut down the street.

ASWSU plans to have carnival rides, vendors and a concert for the carnival, which is planned to begin before CougFest.

Applications for freshmen delegate positions and executive committee membership are also provided at the tables, said ASWSU Pro Tempore Samantha Kieling.

“I want to make sure that we have really good goals set up for the rest of the year, so that everybody kind of knows what is expected of them and knows what their job is and knows how to reach out to their specific constituents and just the constituents of Washington state,” Kieling said.