ASWSU Senate confirms director positions

Four new committee members expressed hopes for new position

Co-director of Diversity and Inclusion Mariela Frias speaks at her confirmation at Wednesday's ASWSU meeting in the CUB.

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

YASMEEN WAFAI, Evergreen Assistant New Editor

The ASWSU Senate confirmed several directors and co-directors for the semester at the first general meeting of the 2018-19 school year yesterday evening.

The director of community affairs, co-director of diversity and inclusion, co-deputy director of communication and director of health and safety positions were all filled unanimously.

All candidates ran unopposed and were introduced by ASWSU President Savannah Rogers before making the case for the positions.

The first student to speak to the Senate was Keegan Otter. Otter was confirmed as director of community affairs.

“I’m all about community,” he said.

Otter said he plans to reach out to organizations and wants to connect people to resources.

Mariela Frias was chosen for co-director of diversity and inclusion. Frias identified herself as a first-generation Afro-Latina from Alaska who will focus on inclusion, diversity and equity.

“It takes one person to inspire others,” Frias said.

She and fellow diversity director Jerry Martinez will work with all communities, Frias said. She wants to represent marginalized and historically-oppressed groups.

“We are tired of waiting for change,” she said, “so let’s do it.”

Emma Epperly was voted to be a co-deputy director of communication along with Brandon Crawford. Epperly said she wants to utilize social media in a consistent way so students not only know what ASWSU is, but what it does.

Epperly said her ideas include information meetings and interactive opportunities such as Instagram question-and-answer sessions to get students connected with, and talking to, ASWSU.

The final position was director of health and safety. Catherine Dunn spoke to the Senate about her experience working with Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse and her passion for mental health awareness.

Dunn said she wants to use the resources they already have and fill in any gaps within the department. Some of Dunn’s ideas include a mental health promotion week and a Zumba class at the UREC to highlight exercise as a way to de-stress.

Other items on the meeting agenda included the Senate budget report and Senate committee announcements.

Vice President Tyler Parchem said there is a lot to look forward to this year and he is excited to work with the Senate, specifically on pieces regarding marginalized students and underrepresented communities.

“I know that’s very near and dear to a lot of people,” he said. “It’s been historically overlooked and we’re ready to finally make progress on something that we shouldn’t have to put a ‘finally’ in front of.”

YASMEEN WAFAI, Evergreen assistant editor
Yasmeen Wafai is a senior multimedia journalism major from Tacoma, Washington. She has worked at the Daily Evergreen since her junior year and currently serves as assistant news editor in her last semester of college.
  • ASWSU Senate confirms director positions

Freshmen mentorship program introduced to student government

New website allows students to get involved

WSU health affected by large influx of freshmen

ASWSU senators, executives self-regulate mandatory suicide awareness training

‘Being a female voice in a room is very important’

ASWSU won’t block students on Twitter

Leaders hope to increase stadium access

Leaders to tackle communication issues

Frost named next WSU student regent

Granite Point cleanup day successful