Association for Women Faculty honor outstanding grad students

The Association for Faculty Women honored graduate students whose work benefited their community.

Three students received the Harriett B. Rigas Award, two the AFW Founders Award, and one the Karen Depaul Leadership Award at the WSU Association for Faculty Women awards ceremony last night.

Recipients of the Rigas award are graduating with a master’s or Ph.D. this year, said Margaret Black, associate professor in the School of Molecular Biosciences.

“The research awards are really good encouragement for grad students,” said Nancy Magnuson, interim vice president of research.

One Rigas award winner, Robin White, an animal science graduate student, develops mathematical models to help create sustainable beef production, said Laura Hill, human development professor.

White plans to continue her research to improve food security, Hill said.

Another award winner, Celia Faiola, doctoral student in civil and environmental engineering, participates in research on how pine trees combat climate change. The pine trees release organic compounds that can be measured as emissions, Hill said.

“This helps us understand climate change,” Faiola said.

The research is important because it can help people determine why air quality is important. Faiola said she studies biosphere and atmosphere interactions.

“She is smart, focused and driven to do good in this world,” said Faiola’s adviser and nominator Timothy VanReken, assistant professor in the civil and environmental engineering program.

Another awardee, Ellen Preece, a doctoral student in the School of the Environment, participates in research regarding food and water safety issues, Hill said.

Preece was elected the president of the Washington State Lake Protection Association.

One Founders Award winner, Jennifer Santos, a master’s student in immunology and infectious diseases, participates in research looking at the bacteria Yersinia pestis, which is an active agent of plague. Humans who are infected with the bacteria must be treated with antibiotics quickly, Santos said.

The bacteria can infect mammals.

“If we understand it better then we can save a lot of people’s lives,” Santos said.

There are periods of time when the bacterium does not infect people, and in her research Santos hypothesizes that it is hiding in an alternate host. The hypothesized alternate host is a protozoa that primarily resides in soil, Santos said.

“It causes endemic in developing countries where antibiotics and less available,” Santos said. “It has killed many people.”

Santos also has mentored students in the Multicultural Student Services office. Santos actively tries to interest women and minority students in STEM sciences, Santos said.

“I’d like to get women interested in STEM sciences because there’s not many,” Santos said.

The second student who received the Founders Award is Amanda Vander Woude, a vocal performance graduate student, who is participating in the study of vocal injuries in professional singers, Hill said.

Woude gives voice lessons to WSU undergraduate students and performs at ensembles. She hopes to become a professional vocal performer after graduation, Hill said.

One student who received the Karen Depaul Leadership Award is Amber Morczek, a Ph.D. candidate in criminology and criminal justice, participated in the Prisoner Debate Project.

The Prisoner Debate Project took WSU undergraduate students to the Coyote Ridge Correctional Facility to work side-by-side with inmates. The students collaborated with the inmates during public debates in the facility about topics in criminal justice, Morczek said.

“Students were able to appreciate the difficulties of receiving an education behind bars,” Morczek said.

The students worked closely with the inmates and were able to apply what they learn in class to an actual situation. Many students said they enjoyed the project and that it was a great hands-on experience, Morczek said.

Morczek said she also participates in work through violence prevention programs.

Morczek helps students define sexual assault, stalking and assault. She also helps them learn what they can do if they think they are a victim of violence or know a friend who is.

“I plan to continue working with victims,” Morczek said. “Facilitating change of attitudes towards victims culturally and personally.”