Cougs help Cougs to stop sexual assault

FROM STAFF REPORTS

The WSU Green Dot program launched Cougs Helping Cougs, a new campaign to combat the effects of sexual violence and help bystanders intervene.

The main goal of the campaign is to educate students on how to be supportive of any friends that have been sexually assaulted.

“This campaign is meant to spark a conversation about how to support someone in your life that has experienced sexual assault,” said Nikki Finnestead, coordinator for Violence Prevention Programs.

The promotion of this informal and interpersonal support is prompted by the fact that sexual assault victims sometimes have an aversion to seeking professional support.

“We know from research that students who experience these crimes may feel uncomfortable making official reports, but they do often talk with a friend about it,” said Paula Adams, health promotion coordinator at WSU Health and Wellness Services.

Friends have a very powerful impact on the wellbeing of the survivor, Adams said.

“We wanted to do a campaign that helped friends respond in the most supportive manner possible,” she said.

Tips offered by the campaign for friends of victims include listening in a calm and non-judgmental manner, verbalizing belief and support, and being able to refer the victim to confidential resources, such as Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse and Health and Wellness Services clinicians.

Adams also said the timing of the campaign is significant, as April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM).

“We wanted to go beyond increasing awareness to providing some practical resources for people who want to make a positive influence in our community,” Adams said.

The campaign is meant to reinforce the values promoted by last year’s SAAM campaign, Friendship Matters. Both campaigns have similar themes of creating a supportive environment and responding when a friend shares a story of sexual assault.

While the intent is to teach support techniques to students, the organizers of Cougs Helping Cougs avoid dismissing other forms of support, such as campus resources.

“One essential component of that support is to be familiar with the confidential resources available to anyone impacted by violence, including Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse and Counseling and Testing Services,” Finnestead said.

The campaign is being promoted through informative emails sent to students, stickers on coffee cup sleeves at certain vendors, tables in the CUB, and social media efforts.

Students can visit the Violence Prevention Programs office in Washington G40 for information and themed souvenirs.