Event raises money for animal humane societies

Photos of pups, cars will accompany other activities for dog owners

Katie Iverson, Automotive Enthusiasts Club event manager, explains the plan for the club’s upcoming event, Pets and Petrol, on Tuesday night in the CUB. The event will take place from noon to 3 p.m. this Saturday in Sunnyside Park.

STEPHEN MURNANE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

STEPHEN MURNANE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

STEPHEN MURNANE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ZACH GOFF, Evergreen reporter

With the impending WSU football game, many organizations, including the Automotive Enthusiasts Club (AEC), look to take advantage of the influx of people in town by hosting events.

AEC will combine cars, pets, philanthropy and holiday spirit into one event with their Pets and Petrol event on Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. at Sunnyside Park, AEC Event Manager Katie Iverson said.

“It’s a great way to pregame for the football game,” Iverson said.

Put together in a little more than a month, the event includes food, water and an open space to hang out for dogs and humans alike.

“We all just ran with it when we realized [the event] was possible,” AEC Treasurer Cooper Allen said.

AEC has decided to implement liability waivers for all attending members due to damages at the last meet-up. The group is particularly focused on attendees’ protection as well as keeping the area as pristine as possible.

“Dogs are a lot less predictable than humans,” Allen said. “Our top priority is people’s safety.”

The main purpose of Pets and Petrol is to raise money for the Humane Society of the Palouse, located in Moscow, and Whitman County Humane Society in Pullman. The event was primarily inspired by how many pets, especially dogs, show up to AEC’s weekly meetings.

“People go wild for the dog photos,” Iverson said. “They probably like those more than the actual photos of their cars.”

Attendees are encouraged to dress up their pets, cars and/or themselves in Halloween or school spirit to partake in the photo booth and bake sale, which is set up to support the local animal shelters.

Keeping in mind that the event was especially devised for animals and their owners, AEC is providing free water for all animals and treats for purchase. The income from the event will be donated to the humane societies, Iverson said.

“We’re going to have food there for people and pets alike,” Iverson said.

Since it is a donation-driven community event, people are encouraged to bring donations if possible to help the humane societies.

“We ask people to bring a donation of some kind: food for the pets, cleaning supplies or cat litter,” Iverson said.

The event is also sponsored by several local businesses and several student organizations. It will not interfere with the normal AEC meeting, Iverson said, which will take place at 5 p.m. Friday in the Shopko parking lot as per usual.