Score for the carnivores

People should think twice before they decide to change their eating habits and become a vegetarian.

While vegetarians can still eat dairy products and eggs, they do not consume any meat. Essential nutrients such as iron, zinc and vitamin B12, are found in the intake of meats. These nutrients are necessary for the different parts of the body. 

“Meat is the best way for the body to absorb iron,” said Madeline D. Houghton, registered dietitian at WSU. “Without iron you can become anemic.”

In an average American diet, about 25 percent of the iron and about half of the zinc a person consumes comes from meat, according to whfoods.org. Eating meat, especially lean meat, can even provide up to 60 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12 in a four ounce serving, also according to whfoods.org.

Vitamin B12 cannot be found in any other type of food except animal products, said Houghton, and without vitamin B12 people can be diagnosed with macrocytic anemia, which could potentially lead to dementia. 

With all of the different nutrients found in animals, giving it up simply doesn’t make sense.

Humans have been eating meat for thousands of years. Having meat in our diets is an essential part of human life.

Meat is also important to our meals because chefs use it for the purpose of making bland foods more appealing, as stated in grist.org. 

Unlike other foods that have the original flavors of sweet, salty, sour, or bitter, meat has a unique flavor called umami, said Houghton.  Umami comes from the Japanese origin meaning savory, according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

One reason some people choose to become a vegetarian is because they believe it will help them lose weight. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn’t.

In some cases you can end up gaining weight instead of losing weight due to all of the breads, pastas and rice, according to the Daily News.

If you are gaining weight without meat, there is no health reason to continue cutting it out of your meal plan. You are losing out on vitamins and minerals for the body while also adding on pounds.

The choice to give up meat and become a vegetarian is a personal decision everyone can make for themselves. But giving up that piece of medium rare steak could have negative effects on more than just your taste buds. 

– Marissa Mararac is a junior communication major from Tacoma. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.