Artist fills Fine Arts building with splashes of color

Showcase will focus on life, cover gallery in vivid, modern imagery

Visiting artist Shana Moulton performs a dance and video fusion performance with projections of a voodoo doll over her body Thursday afternoon in the Fine Arts building.

PAIGE CAMPBELL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

PAIGE CAMPBELL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

PAIGE CAMPBELL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

SAM SCHMITKE, Evergreen reporter

The Fine Arts building hosted a performance with a focus on color and fun by mixed-media artist Shana Moulton and art students this week.

Bridgette Costa, behind-the-scenes coordinator of the exhibit, said she chose a performing arts act for the exhibit because WSU only offers one performing arts class.

Costa said she wanted members of the community to see how fun performing can be and how it is a form of art itself. She said she hoped to demonstrate that the performing arts don’t have to be all about bold demonstrations — instead of the arts being dark, depressing or even “out-there,” they can be fun and colorful.

Moulton’s showcase first started with video recordings of people and gallery showings. Each showing throughout the week focused on the concept of color, with the main showcase taking place on Thursday.

Moulton is a world-renowned artist known for her domestic form of performing arts, according to an article on Art21 Magazine. Her work focuses on the contemporary anxieties of life and uses everyday experiences and movements to her advantage.

Costa said Moulton was a good choice for WSU and the Fine Arts Center because of her involvement through the community.

Moulton was born and spent her childhood in Oakhurst, California, according to Art21. When coming to the small community of Pullman, Moulton would feel more connected to her childhood and give a more “at-home” approach to her performance, Costa said.

As a world-known performer, Moulton exerts a large influence in the Palouse area, Costa said. When she performs, it will affect how Pullman is shown in the eyes of a respected artist.

Costa also said she provided costumes so that each person willing to perform could express themselves even further. People could dance however they wanted to, dress however they pleased and just have fun on the screen.

After Moulton’s performance on Thursday, Costa said she wanted to focus the Friday extravaganza on the art of the body and the fun and creative world of color.

A projector will display recordings of dancing people in a whimsical form, she said. Colors will pour onto the screen, and loud music and other technical features like beams of light will fill the area.

Throughout the week of art and performances, the showcase represented one main concept: to have fun with the world you live in, Costa said. Color is something people tend to be afraid of within the arts, she said, but performing is an expression that can be useful with color.

The hope Costa said she had for this showcase was to enlighten the community on how art can be demonstrated in common places and can be influential in its transparency. With this, she said art is expressive and can be fun, not just in paintings but through the mind, heart and body.

The showcase’s parade will take place at 11 a.m. Friday at the Fine Arts building, with the closing extravaganza taking place from noon to 5 p.m.

SAM SCHMITKE, Evergreen reporter

Sam Schmitke is a public relations major with an emphasis in risk and crisis communication from Kent. She recently joined the Life staff as a reporter.