Counterfeit dollar bills found in Pullman

PD warns public of fake currency circulating in city

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen deputy news editor

Several cases of counterfeited dollar bills currently circulate the Pullman area, said Pullman Police Cmdr. Chris Tennant.

There have been six cases of $20, $50 and $100 bills reported as counterfeit in the last three months, he said. Only one bill was included in each case.

“This is not a wide-spread conspiracy,” Tennant said, “but it is most likely someone trying to be a novelty.”

The counterfeited bills that have been caught so far were marked with red, Chinese lettering. There were also bills labeled as “Hollywood prop money” used by producers of movies and television shows, Tennant said.

The federal government handles counterfeit cases, so the Pullman Police Department does not have jurisdiction, he said.

The people involved in counterfeiting the bills can face serious jail time, Tennant said.

The Pullman Chamber of Commerce recently warned local businesses about the fake currency in the area to stop the bills from circulating, according to an article from Pullman Radio News.

Anyone who comes in contact with one of these counterfeit bills should contact the Pullman Police Department.

“Just by paying attention, you can catch something like this,” Tennant said.

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen assistant news editor

Madysen  is a freshman journalism and media production major from Hunters, Washington.