Students to show, tell about research

The Dr. William R. Wiley Research Exposition will take place Feb. 21 in the CUB Senior Ballroom. Abstracts are due Friday on the Graduate and Professional Student Association website.

Graduate and undergraduate students in all academic disciplines have the opportunity to showcase their research and compete for a scholarship at an upcoming exposition held by the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA).

The Dr. William R. Wiley Research Exposition will take place Feb. 21 in the CUB Senior Ballroom. The deadline to submit an abstract on the GPSA website is this Friday.

“(The exposition) showcases the diversity of research that has been going on at WSU,” GPSA member Robbie Zinna said. “We have a pretty strong record of research excellence.”

Students present their research in an oral or poster presentation, Zinna said.

First and second place oral presentation winners will be awarded $1,000 and $500 in Wiley scholarships, respectively, said Davi Kallman, the chair of the Wiley Committee. First and second place poster presentation winners will be awarded $800 and $400, respectively.

The scholarship amounts have tripled since last year, Kallman said.

“There is not a lot of research expositions that are primarily focused on the interests of the students,” he said. “Wiley is trying to get that cutting-edge research and promote that to the world and WSU alumni.”

The exposition will be a two-day event. There will be a Wiley reception dinner 7 p.m. Thursday in the Lewis Alumni Center for all participants and judges.

Bill Andrefsky, dean of the WSU graduate school, will present the welcome address 10 a.m. Friday before the presentations. Andrefsky will be followed by the keynote speaker, Arvind Singhal of the University of Texas at El Paso and the Clinton School of Public Service.

The team of judges for the exposition is comprised of researchers, including WSU and University of Idaho faculty members, employees of the Schweitzer Engineering Lab, and WSU alumni, Zinna said.

Students will participate in seven different research categories, including medical and life sciences and liberal arts and humanities.

“Students compete with their peers to see who is doing the most innovated and novel research,” Zinna said.

He said the exposition allows for collaboration between student-researchers and potential job recruiters. It gives students experience in presenting their work, and the scholarship award enables students to continue their research, he said.

The exposition has moved away from WSU faculty judging its own students’ work by bringing in alumni judges. GPSA Vice President Ericka Christensen said it is a chance for students to meet alumni who are working in their field and establish worthwhile connections.

“It brings past, present and future Cougs together to discuss research,” Christensen said.

The exposition was renamed in 1997 after William R. Wiley, who earned his doctorate at WSU and served as president of the Board of Regents. Previously it was called the Graduate Student Research Exposition.