Pullman finalizes budget to improve downtown

City has budgeted $100,000 to begin long-term updates

Allison Fisher, graduate student and initiative coordinator for the Office of the President, says downtown Pullman has the potential to become a place with “radical inclusivity.” Fisher also says pocket parks, or downtown hangout spots, are a goal of her group, Tuesday in The Spark: Academic Innovation Hub.

KIERSTEN BUTTERWORTH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

Pullman is set to experience several appearance renovations in upcoming years, said Allison Fisher, WSU graduate student and Downtown Pullman initiative coordinator.

The City of Pullman has set aside $100,000 to begin improvements around town, according to an article from the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Fisher said the City of Pullman will be assisted by the Downtown Pullman Association, a non-profit formed to organize projects and goals for what downtown Pullman will look like in the future.

The association focuses on business networking and awareness of what downtown Pullman offers, she said.

“One of the ideas generated was to help revitalize downtown Pullman,” said Fisher.

She said the non-profit is not limited to just students here at WSU or people who are involved with the community. They encourage anyone interested in the renovation process, to join in the efforts and offer their opinions.

“If they have the passion, if they work downtown, [or] they own a business — those are all people who have great ideas,” Fisher said.

She said city council members have brought up the idea of “pocket parks,” which are little green spaces meant for residents to go hang out in the downtown area.

“It’s a place where we all own it, and have this radical inclusivity,” Fisher said. “Everyone can go there.”

Fisher said the association wants to make downtown Pullman accommodating for all genders, races, ethnicities and ages. They’d like to open more spaces for the public as a whole to feel comfortable using.

“I think a lot of different ideas could generate a good solution to that,” said Fisher.

She said she became involved in these projects as a part of her job working for the Office of the President. She’s now working on town relations initiatives.

Renovations are expected to arrive in the next five, 10 and possibly 15 years, she said.

Fisher said that in the next five to 10 years, they would like to see more students going downtown. They also want to create a special place for all community members.

“If the alumni come back, they say that downtown is special to me and it should be a part of people’s lives,” Fisher said.

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

Kuria is a freshman broadcast news major from Bellevue, Washington.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Pullman finalizes budget to improve downtown”

1. Bruce Barkhuff on February 14th, 2019 3:13 pm

Pullman needs to turn main street back to a two way street. On certain events one way traffic can be used. Pullman needs more down town parking. Pocket parks will become a problem.

2. Joe Smith on February 14th, 2019 10:03 pm

The big mistake that was made years ago in downtown Pullman was to make Main Steet a one-way thoroughfare. It should be two way with angled parking. Look to Moscow on how they have built a healthy downtown.

Also, have a Saturday farmer’s market in the late summer and early fall.

Make a nice outdoor gathering place with a fountain and sitting places. Have nice decorative lighting all over the downtown. Be creative!

Also, have live music during the farmer’s market. Make the downtown friendly for entrepreneurs.

3. Pip on February 16th, 2019 7:02 am

No amount of cosmetic improvement will make up for the fact that main street is a major truck route. No one wants to sit and sip coffee or eat outside on a patio when the noise of semi-trucks drowns out any hope of conversation. Main street cannot be a pleasant place to wander/have enough foot traffic to sustain businesses until this has changed.

• Pullman finalizes budget to improve downtown

ASWSU leader opposes Title IX changes

• Local

Pullman Transit impacted by snow

• Breaking News

Cougar Country Drive-In owner responds to employee criticisms, Evergreen reporter

Pullman will replace pipelines, repave roads

City plans to build new senior center

Cougar Country Drive-In closes temporarily, employees say they haven’t been paid

Central Washington false alarm raises concerns

Community Action Center to help residents with heating bills

Arts Commission talks board member, ArtFest details

WSU works to clear snow for students