Proposed tuition rates mostly same, with four increases

The Board of Regents will discuss the proposed WSU tuition rates for the 2017-18 academic year, which are to remain the same with four exceptions.

There is a proposed 3.3-percent increase in the rate for the Carson College Online Masters of Business Administration (OMBA) program and the Online Executive Masters of Business Administration (OEMBA) program. This will increase gross tuition revenue by approximately $300,000 for fiscal year 2018, according to the report.

This rate increase is due to significant rises in instruction and program costs over the past decade for OMBA and OEMBA courses, according to a request report. The Carson College will study this increase and determine if more increases will be necessary in the future.

There is also a proposal for a 7-percent rate increase in each of the next two academic years for the College of Veterinary Medicine, to go into effect in the fall. This will increase revenue by about $735,000 for fiscal year 2018 and about $1.35 million for fiscal year 2019, according to a request report.

The Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture faculty are requesting that the Professional Science Master’s program fee be raised from the normal Global Campus rate of $586 per credit hour to $1,200 per credit hour, according to their request report. Overall tuition cost would be $36,000.

This request is due to current revenue being insufficient for program funding. If approved, the increase will be effective for new students enrolling for the fall 2017 semester, while current students will be grandfathered under the current rate, according to the request.

Lastly, the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine is requesting tuition rates of $35,000.

Reporting by Rosemarie Blume