College of Medicine releases demographic report

School enrolled 38 percent of students who are considered low-income

OLIVER MCKENNA | EVERGREEN GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATION

Data courtesy of a WSU Government Relations Newsbeat Blog post from Feb. 15.

SANDY VO, Evergreen reporter

The WSU Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine recently released their demographic progress report, showing high numbers of older students, low-income students and Washington residents.

According to a press release from WSU Government Relations, 38 percent of those enrolled are low-income students.

Leila Harrison, WSU associate dean for admissions, recruitment and inclusion, said staff members help students create a ten-year individual plan.

“We have to be able to support them,” she said.

Harrison said the plan includes financial education and literacy, well-being, academic coaching and career advising during medical school and beyond.

She said the college also has a higher than average age demographic.

“In medical school, the traditional age is 23 and 24. Our average is 25 and 26,” Harrison said. “When people have done things outside of school and in the workforce, they tend to grow. People who have had those experiences naturally stand out in our process.”

Harrison said another reported demographic is that students have ties with Washington.

“Our mission is to create more physicians in Washington state,” Harrison said.

Research shows if medical students have a connection to a certain state, they are most likely to work in that state, she said.

Harrison said their application and admission process is different from many medical schools.

Students must complete two application processes. Applicants must first complete the American Medical College Application Service national application, which is the first stage, Harrison said.

Applicants who meet specific requirements move to the second round of applications, she said.

“When an applicant returns the secondary application we blind the review of GPA (Grade Point Average) and MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) since they already met the three combinations of MCAT and GPA in the national application,” Harrison said

The college uses a holistic review framework when considering future students, she said.

“The essential aspects of the framework is that it balances the consideration of the applicant’s experience, attributes and metrics towards the school’s mission,” Harrison said.

This article was changed to reflect that the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine did not enroll 100 percent of Washington residents, but instead 100 percent of students that have ties to Washington.