Society of Women Engineers to host Kids’ Science and Engineering Day

SWE president says they want to spark interest in younger generation, pursue STEM

Samantha+Grindrod%2C+vice+president+of+the+Society+of+Women+Engineers+discusses+the+organizations+upcoming+event+and+what+they+hope+to+achieve+on+Tuesday+at+the+CUE.+

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Samantha Grindrod, vice president of the Society of Women Engineers discusses the organization’s upcoming event and what they hope to achieve on Tuesday at the CUE.

DAISY ZAVALA, Evergreen managing editor

Kids interested in science can participate in the 10th annual Kids’ Science and Engineering Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 23 in the Smith Center for Undergraduate Education building.

Rachel Johnson, president of Society of Women Engineers (SWE), said there will be many students from engineering and science classes that will put together hands-on activities and demonstrations for elementary-age children.

Tickets cost $5 per child, or $10 for families with two or more kids if they purchase it through eventbrite, Johnson said. Tickets can also be purchased at the door, but will cost $10 per child and $15 per family.

“It’s a way for us to spark interest in the younger generation and encourage them to pursue STEM,” she said.

Last year, attendees built paper circuits and had paper boat demonstrations to learn about fluid dynamics, Johnson said.

Samantha Grindrod, vice president of SWE, said former biomedical engineering students measured the eye movement of children and showed them a visual representation of it.

Grindrod said the SWE has an activity planned to challenge children to make a small circuit to light up a bulb by using dough, batteries and LED lights.

She said students are encouraged to make their activities or demonstrations visual or hands-on to further engage kids.

Johnson said this event gives clubs an opportunity to give back to the community.

“It also helps teach them leadership skills that will last them for life,” Grindrod said.

Students organize their activities, as well as manage their time and volunteers, she said.

Johnson said SWE’s goal is to create a more inclusive environment in engineering and science, and to be seen as leaders in a male-dominated field.

“For younger kids to see women in leadership roles within engineering can be really inspiring, especially for the younger female students,” she said.

Grindrod said they are expecting to have about 200 children attend. The numbers usually spike a day before pre-registration is over and a day before the event.