Zumba: the key to lively workouts

Many of us dread the cold and lonely gym with unwelcoming machines that do not exactly inspire us to stay active in our everyday lives. Enter Zumba – a fun dance-based workout that features upbeat music with an even more upbeat instructor to encourage participants throughout their workout.

For those who like to shimmy, shake and move their feet, Zumba is the place to be. Known as the best way to trick yourself into working out, Zumba features workout movements like squats, lunges and jumping jacks. Zumba is a fun, comfortable environment to let loose and get in touch with your inner dancer, WSU Zumba instructor Katerina Tsatsomeros said.

“It really changed my life in a way because I always had trouble exercising before I had Zumba,” Tsatsomeros said, “but it completely distracted me from the fact I was tired, and I just loved that.”

Zumba classes are now open and free to students at the Chinook for a limited time. All students need is their Cougar Card and comfy shoes, and they’re ready to begin the Zumba experience. There are multiple classes available throughout the weekdays, and the recreation centers also offer Aqua Zumba. The class features smiles, laughter, cheering and all the positive support you need to have a productive workout. All ages and experience levels are welcome.

“I think that Zumba is definitely fun to try,” Tsatsomeros said. “People are usually nervous because they think … that you have to know what you’re doing before your first class, but that’s totally not the case with Zumba. Zumba is a place where you can come and feel safe to mess up and do the moves how you want to do them and whatever feels good to your body.”

During finals week, the Chinook Student Center and Student Recreation Center are offering free fitness classes for all students. “Sweat the Stress” features classes like Zumba and Aqua Zumba that will help take your mind off of studying for the short 45-minute sessions. The sensual Latin-based movements promote body awareness and will boost confidence as participants move their hips to the music and, above all, have fun.