University of Idaho explosion sends four to hospital

Emergency personnel respond to the scene of the explosion on the University of Idaho campus.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”03ff92c0-20e1-11e7-aad0-e7e3ad543fb8″}}

An incident involving rocket fuel resulted in an explosion, sending four individuals to the hospital.

Dan Ewart, University of Idaho vice president of infrastructure, said an incident in the parking lot of the University of Idaho Energy Plant was reported to the police at 9:52 p.m.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”bf63708c-20ea-11e7-8ff8-232fb9587cc7″}}

Individuals gathered in the parking lot to test an experimental rocket when the rocket exploded, resulting in the transportation of four individuals to Gritman Medical Center, according to the first University of Idaho news release on the incident.

Bailey Lind-Trefts and Daniel Furman, co-chairs of the University of Idaho branch of Northwest Organization of Rocket Engineers (NORE), were two of the individuals injured in the explosion.

NORE is an organization that began this semester with only nine student members listed on the University of Idaho OrgSync, according to their organization’s page.

Both Lind-Trefts and Furman are in stable condition at Gritman Medical Center in Moscow, Idaho as of 1 a.m. Friday morning, according to the medical center’s health supervisor. 

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”ddaae54a-20e3-11e7-adc6-23074b39e333″}}

The other two individuals have yet to be identified.  According to the second University of Idaho news release about the incident, all four individuals were alert and communicating with university personnel early Friday morning and all of their parents have been notified.

The Moscow Police and Fire departments responded to the scene. The local FBI branch has also been called to the scene, which is standard protocol in these situations since the FBI have the resources and materials needed to investigate explosions, said Cap. Tyson Berrett of the Campus Division of the Moscow Police Department.

There is no danger on campus at this time, according to the news release.

A press conference was held at 11:30 p.m. on Thursday at the university’s campus.

There will be a second press conference held about the explosion at 8 a.m in the Gold Room of the Bruce M. Pitman Center, according to the news release. The Daily Evergreen will live stream this on Facebook.

Reporting by Rosemarie Blume and Sarah Olsen

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated.