New ASWSU senators take office

The 47th ASWSU Senate took the oath of office during Wednesday’s meeting, officially taking over as the 2017-2018 student government legislature.

Before the 11 executive cabinet officers, selected by newly elected ASWSU President Jordan Frost, could be confirmed, the new senators themselves had to be sworn in, because only they could confirm the officers. By press time, the new Senate had not yet confirmed the cabinet.

Executive officers are non-elected officials who serve and assist the president to improve and create university policies and events, according to the ASWSU CougSync profile.

The number of positions is not fixed. Over the past academic year, the Senate confirmed 17 executive cabinet officer positions, but Frost plans to drop the number of positions to 11.

“The goal with a smaller staff is to increase efficiency and maximize the use of student dollars,” Frost said. “We believe having fewer people doing more work will raise the level of involvement and commitment of each individual.”

The hiring committee used to select these nominees included Frost and Vice President Garret Kalt, ASWSU Chief of Staff Jenna Damberg, Leoma James, Black Student Union Visionary Inspiring Black Empowered Students (VIBES) chair, former Panhellenic Executive Officer Ty Baird and United Greek Cabinet President Ricky Luna, according to an ASWSU news release.

Three of the 11 officers, if confirmed, would be returning members to positions they previously held in the 2016-2017 academic year. Colleen McMahon, a junior studying accounting with three years of ASWSU experience, was re-nominated for her current position of director of university affairs, according to the release.

Mitchell Weholt, a sophomore studying strategic communication and the Interfraternity Council director of public relations, was re-nominated as the ASWSU director of communication.

Parker Blekkenk, a sophomore studying neuroscience, was re-nominated for the deputy director of legislative affairs.

“Not only are the candidates we selected all leaders in their own right,” Kalt said in the release, “they are individuals who will grow and succeed in their roles.”

The other nine nominees would be new to their respective positions.

If confirmed, Carmen Jaramillo, former ASWSU reporter for The Daily Evergreen, will be the administration’s deputy chief of staff, which will involve assisting the vice president and working with all ASWSU communication operations, according to the release.

In addition to the confirmations, the Frost-Kalt administration “will create two committees within the Department of Wellness and Safety,” according to the release. The two added committees will be Sexual Assault and Violence Prevention Education and Mental Health and Well-Being.