Athlete of the Week: Michaela Bayerlova

Sophomore picked up two wins elevating team to upset No. 10 UCLA

Athlete of the Week: Michaela Bayerlova

Sophomore Michaela Bayerlova serves the ball during her match against Boise State March 24 at Hollingbery Fieldhouse. Bayerlova is the No. 1 singles player for WSU.

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen columnist

Michaela Bayerlova had a flawless weekend, collecting two wins in the No. 1 singles spot for the Cougars.

One 3-6 and two 6-4 set of victories over No. 10 UCLA on Friday helped seal WSU’s biggest women’s tennis upset in program history. Bayerlova picked up a 6-1, 6-3 straight-sets victory on Sunday against No. 13 USC and was the only Cougar to grab a victory.

Bayerlova, a sophomore from Germany, is an accomplished tennis player. She is currently ranked No. 52 in the ITA DI Women’s Singles Rankings. Last September, she received her highest ever rank and the highest in school history when she sat at No. 17 on the list in September.

Michaela is also highly ranked on the world stage. Michaela is currently the 719th ranked women’s player in the WTA singles poll and has been ranked as high as 579th.

Bayerlova’s numbers in the ITA Singles rankings are even more impressive. She is currently the 73rd women’s player in the ITA Singles rankings and has seen rankings as high as 69th.

Michaela has already set records at WSU. As a freshman, Bayerlova set the program record for highest ITA DI rank.

She also saw unprecedented success at the NCAA Singles championship. Bayerlova, then-ranked No. 23 in the nation, knocked off No. 49 Natalie Novotna of Virginia Tech in straight sets. The win was the first tournament win by a WSU singles player in program history.

Bayerlova would put up a valiant effort in the second round, but fell 7-6(4), 3-6, 6-4 to Ashley Lahey of Pepperdine University, the eventual NCAA National runner-up.

Michaela Bayerlova is in the midst of a special career at WSU. Her wins this weekend helped propel WSU to its largest upset victory in program history and earned her this week’s Evergreen Athlete of the Week.

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen reporter

Shawn P. O'Connor is a junior broadcasting major from Oak Harbor, Wash., he worked with his local fire department when he was in high school.