WSU student’s Tonight Show video earns him internship

Cable 8 President Jake Sirianni shows how he made his rendition of the Alphabet Aerobics while rapping in front of the green screen which it was recorded on while in the Cable 8 Studio A on Wednesday.

Jimmy Fallon informed a WSU communication student he got a summer internship at “The Tonight Show” during tonight’s episode.

Sirianni, a junior communication major specializing in broadcast journalism, published a video on YouTube of himself rapping about “The Tonight Show” writers on Monday morning, in hopes of making his internship application stand out among the 1,000 or more applicants for the NBC show’s summer 2017 internship. He never expected that video to get him the internship in just two days.

“Jake, if you’re watching this, and you better be watching, pack your bags, buddy,” Fallon said during the show. “I’ll see you this summer. I can’t wait to meet you, man. Get ready to work.”

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”a46d906e-0f88-11e7-a4a1-3b086a78db48″}}

As of 10 p.m. tonight, the video reached over 126,000 views.

“I shared it on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn,” Sirianni said. “But then someone shared it to Reddit, and it was actually trending for a while.”

While many of the Reddit comments on his video were negative, Sirianni pointed out that they were still views. Eventually someone shared it on Mashable.

The video is imposed over the background video of a 2014 episode of “The Tonight Show” where Daniel Radcliffe rapped the “Alphabet Aerobics” ABC’s. Sirianni replaced Radcliffe with himself rapping about why he should be their intern, ending with Jimmy Fallon shown holding a sign that reads “Hire Jake.”

During this morning’s “Today” show, host Sheinelle Jones talked about the process of Sirianni’s video production.

“Part of me is like ‘Oh, come on, give him the internship,’ ” Jones said on the show, “but then I guess if he does [get it], then everybody will do that.”

Co-host Dylan Dreyer agreed there would be a flood of similar videos by hopeful intern applicants if Sirianni was offered a position.

“But that was really good,” Dreyer said on the show. “He deserves it.”

Sirianni said the video required three-and-a-half weeks of pre-editing before his friend recorded him during a three-hour shoot of his rap. He then spent all of spring break editing and finalizing the video. Sirianni sent the piece to a high school adviser, WSU professor Jon Elmer and WSU alumnus Mike Harney, who helped him get an internship on a Howie Mandel project last summer.

The junior was recently re-elected as the president and general manager of Cable 8 Productions, where he has worked since the first semester of his freshman year. While Sirianni does not plan on going into news or journalism, Cable 8 has helped him learn his craft, he said.

Sirianni also posted the video and tagged several “The Tonight Show” writers he admired and previously sent friend requests on Facebook, which they accepted.

His advice to new communication students looking to get internships is to do the grunt work assigned to you, whether it’s getting coffee, taking out the garbage or similar tasks. Doing these things frees up the time of the executive producers and top writers. You can add value to the company in that way.

“Don’t be afraid to start at the bottom,” Sirianni said.