Nike McClure ties Pac-12 record for blocks in a game

Freshman forward Kayla Washington goes for a layup.

Two weeks after breaking the school record for blocks in a single game, redshirt-sophomore forward Nike McClure broke her own record, swatting away 12 Colorado shots in a 67-56 victory for the Cougars.

McClure’s 12 blocks tied the Pac-12 record for most in a conference game. She also tallied her first-career double-double, contributing 12 rebounds. McClure also put up six points, four shy of recording a triple-double.

“I was more focused today compared to other games mainly because I wanted to send our senior Iva (Ivana Kmetovska) out with a bang,” McClure said.

WSU (11-18, 6-12) started the game on a 16-0 run before a Colorado (15-14, 5-13) free-throw broke the scoring drought for Colorado. Throughout the game, the Cougars maintained control of the lead, although a few Colorado runs made it interesting. The Buffaloes cut the lead to three with just under five minutes to play in the first half before sophomore guard Alexys Swedlund hit a pair of three’s as part of a 9-3 Cougar run.

Colorado made another attempt to close the gap toward the end of the third quarter, reducing the lead to three with just under two minutes to play. The Cougars, again, responded with a 13-3 run that overlapped into the fourth quarter, giving WSU breathing room towards the final minutes.

The Cougars offense improved from Thursday’s 74-57 loss to Utah, shooting almost 47 percent from the field on 22-47 shooting. On the flip side, the tenacious Cougar defense held the Buffaloes to 29 percent shooting while also winning the rebounding battle.

“We were really disappointed two nights ago, being outrebounded the way we were and that was our focus, to be one-and-done with them if possible,” Head Coach June Daugherty said.

Colorado sophomore guard Kennedy Leonard matched her season average of 17 points on an inefficient 6-19 shooting from the floor.

“We were just trying not to let her get comfortable because when she’s comfortable, she’s tough,” Daugherty said. “At any time, she can go off for 30.”

The Cougar guards shot the ball well on Saturday and contributed to the Cougars efforts to win the rebounding battle with 22 rebounds, 12 of which were offensive. Junior guards Pinelopi Pavlopoulou and Caila Hailey combined for 23 points and 15 rebounds, while Swedlund led the way with 20 points and seven rebounds.

WSU now gears up to take on Colorado in the Pac-12 Tournament at 6 p.m. on Thursday in Seattle. The Cougars are slated as the No. 7 seed in the tournament.

“We’re going to use this confidence and this energy to go into the Pac-12 tournament and dominate,” Swedlund said.