ASWSU plans to increase student voting

Senate confirms new member, discusses potential resolution

ASWSU plans to increase student voting

Albert James, freshman broadcast news major, discusses his previous experience in having an advisory role at the Lakewood City Council while in high school, at the ASWSU meeting on Wednesday.

REBECCA TAKACS | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

REBECCA TAKACS | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

REBECCA TAKACS | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JAKOB THORINGTON, Evergreen reporter

An ASWSU senator is developing a resolution to improve old water fixtures across the university.

Senator Jelani Christopher said he’d like to call for the university to replace old water fixtures around campus with smart water fixtures.

Smart water fixtures are hands-free, digital faucets that reduce water waste.

The idea is still early in development, and no official resolution has been made, Christopher said.

The Senate also confirmed a new administrative assistant last night.

Albert James, freshman journalism and media production major, held the majority vote over freshman finance major Paolo Macariola during the senate’s motion to confirm a new candidate.

Although Macariola was not selected, he said he hopes to run for a legislative or executive position with ASWSU in the future.

James previously held an advisory role with the Lakewood City Council in high school and has experience taking detailed notes that comply with public documents, he said.

“As excited as I am, I’m nervous for what I’m about to get into,” he said. “I’m confident I’ll get support from ASWSU to help me grow.”

All-campus senator Linda Vargas said James’ motivation to grow made him a strong candidate.

Connor Simmons, College of Arts and Sciences senator, said he’s working to provide ASWSU with advertising on Cable 8 and student radio to remind students to vote and get involved with elections.

“Even though student radio and student television might not be most widely used, we should try and attack every different position,” Simmons said.