Cougars defeat Utah Utes for third consecutive year

The WSU swim team honored its eight seniors in Saturday’s meet at Gibb Pool.

The WSU women’s swimming team now heads into the Pac-12 Championships with momentum from a 151-111 victory over Utah on Saturday.

The Cougars (4-3) also sent off eight seniors with one final win in Gibb Pool and are winners of four-consecutive dual meets.

WSU started the event with a win in the 200-yard medley relay (1:43.21). Senior Addisynn Bursch anchored the relay team and touched the wall one-hundredth of a second before Utah’s relay team (1:43.22).

The Cougars’ success carried into the second event, as WSU finished with the three-fastest times in the 1,000-yard freestyle. Senior Kendra Griffin took first place in a time of 10:23.07 and was followed by freshman Ryan Falk (10:26.32) and senior Jessica Marston (10:36.23).

After a rest during 1,000-yard freestyle, Bursch was back in the pool for the 200-yard freestyle. Bursch added nine more points to the WSU’s team total by edging out a win (1:51.83) over Utes freshman Sarah Lott (1:51.90)

WSU sophomore Jasmine Margetts won three events and led the meet in scoring with 27 points. Margetts started her day with a win in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 55.88.

Utah picked up some momentum midway through the meet when sophomore Jordan Anderson took first place in the 200-yard butterfly (2:01.52).

However, the Cougars regained control of the meet when WSU sophomore and Wenatchee native Hannah Bruggman took first place in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 23.87. Although a WSU swimmer won the event, Utah claimed second through fourth place in the event.

Utah sophomore Julienne Tadena, who finished in third place (24.04) in the 50-yard freestyle, got her revenge in the next event, edging out Bruggman by less than half a second in the 100-yard freestyle.

After Tadena’s win, Margetts again turned things around for the Cougars with victories in the 200-yard backstroke (2:00.30), and 400-yard individual medley (IM) (4:19.05).

The Cougars capped the afternoon with a win in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Bursch and senior Haley Rose Love anchored the final two legs of the relay, a fitting ending to a meet that honored eight seniors.

WSU will compete in the Pac-12 Championships Feb. 22 – 25 at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way.

Reporting by Frazier Myer