WSU kicks off Latin Heritage Month at soccer game

32-flag procession will be held before the game on Friday

EUGENE LEE | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-Retention Counselor Carlos Salazar talks about the inclusiveness of Latinx Heritage Month on Sept. 11, 2018 in the Chicanx Latinx Student Center.

CAITLIN KOONCE, Evergreen reporter

The Chicanx Latinx Student Center is hosting events throughout the month to celebrate Latin Heritage Month.

“The goal of the events is for people to learn about our culture as well as promote what we do here,” said Carlos Salazar, assistant director of the Chicanx Latinx Student Center.

The first event will take place during the WSU women’s soccer game against Michigan at 7 p.m. Friday.

Salazar said there will be a processional with 32 different Latin flags held at 6 p.m. in the parking lot of the Chinook Student Center. The group will march to the soccer game with the WSU drumline.

Salazar said during halftime of the soccer game, there will be a folklorico performance, which is a traditional Spanish dance. They will also be handing out promotional t-shirts to fans at the soccer game.

The official Latinx Heritage Month kick-off event will be from noon to 2 p.m. on Monday at the Terrell Library Plaza. Salazar said there will be Zumba, folklorico, free food, organization tables and Latin jazz band Con Alma at this event.

Salazar said the kick-off event will feature Carla Johnson, dean of student affairs at Hartnell College, as a keynote speaker from 6-8 p.m. on Monday in Todd Hall, Room 276. Johnson will talk about perseverance and her life experiences as a Latinx woman.

There will be more events throughout the month like a movie night from 6-8 p.m. on Sept. 26 in the CUB auditorium. There will also be a Spanish board game night from 6-8 p.m. on Sept. 30 in the Chicanx Latinx Student Center. A list of all the events this month are available on the Chicanx Latinx Student Center website.

Salazar said everyone is welcome to all the events hosted throughout the month.