Coug Guys and Gals will hold blood drive

Group hopes to have positive impact on the Palouse, national level

Coug+Guys+and+Gals%2C+an+extension+of+the+Cougar+Athletic+Fund%2C+will+hold+their+first+blood+drive+event+of+the+semester+from+10-4+p.m.+on+Sept.+19+at+the+Smith+Center+for+Undergraduate+Education.+

COURTESY OF FLICKR COMMONS

Coug Guys and Gals, an extension of the Cougar Athletic Fund, will hold their first blood drive event of the semester from 10-4 p.m. on Sept. 19 at the Smith Center for Undergraduate Education.

KATLYN COOK, Evergreen reporter

An extension of the Cougar Athletic Fund, Coug Guys and Gals (CGG), is holding their first philanthropic event of the school year from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 19 at the CUE.

CGG is connecting with the Red Cross to help replenish the supply in blood banks after recent major natural disasters.

Amy Baer-Peckham, co-vice president of marketing for CGG, said their organization is trying to expand their reach within the community. Baer-Peckham is a senior double majoring in international business and accounting.

“This is a great opportunity for people out there looking for a way to help out people affected by Hurricane Dorian,” Baer-Peckham said. “They can just come donate, it only takes maybe 15 or 20 minutes.”

Baer-Peckham said the CGG blood drive wasn’t planned by their executive board, but it was a group effort from their philanthropy committee and their entire team.

Katylyn Schmitz, senior sports management major and head of philanthropy for CGG, said they chose to hold this event to show the effect students can have.

She said CGG wanted to do something that would not only affect the Palouse community but have a national influence as well.

“Giving back to the community, not really throwing money at it, but giving your time and energy into something that means something,” Schmitz said.

CGG will be working to help out the community more throughout the year by providing services on gameday like transportation for people with disabilities, she said.

People can sign up to donate blood by going to the Coug Guys and Gals Event Page on Facebook, but walk-ins are also welcome.