WSU parking undergoing significant change

WSU Transportation services and the University Parking and Transportation Task Force have developed a proposal that would change current parking zones and implement improvements.

The task force is requesting feedback from the WSU community about this proposal until Feb. 13, according to the Transportation Services website.

Parking improvements are planned for summer 2017 in three specific locations, according to the website. The projects could possibly add around 100 parking spaces for the campus at an estimated cost of $1 million.

As a self-supported auxiliary, Transportation Services does not receive funding from the state.

“All operations, maintenance and capital funds are generated from parking fees and fines,” according to the website.

The current zone parking system, developed in 1991, separates the parking areas on campus into “manageable geographic zones.”

Three areas of criteria, including demand, proximity and quality, are considered to determine the value of each zone, according to the website. New buildings and facilities on campus are constantly affecting these three benchmarks.

The proposal will cause certain zone colors to change, leading to price changes. Community members who wish to stay in their current zone despite the rearrangement will be advised to change their zone status, according to the website.

If passed, the proposed changes will take effect at the start of the fall 2017 academic semester, according to the Transportation Services website.

Reporting by Rosemarie Blume