Judge grants Barber stay to return to class and field

A Whitman County Superior Court judge has granted a stay of WSU football player Robert Barber’s suspension, allowing him to finish his degree and return to the football team.

Under the ruling, Barber cannot drink alcohol, smoke marijuana, attend parties where these are present or contact the student he allegedly injured during a fight over the summer.

Multiple news sources reported that Judge David Frazier issued the ruling on the basis that WSU’s Student Conduct Board destroyed questions submitted by Barber for witnesses. Steve Graham, Barber’s attorney, said the board asked paraphrased versions of these questions.

Barber’s suspension would have forced him to return in July to complete his degree, which he needs just one more credit for. However, WSU President Kirk Schulz previously said arrangements were being made for Barber to finish his degree online this semester.

His attorney, Steve Graham, argued that preventing Barber from returning to the football team would irreparably harm his future football career, according to multiple sources.

Barber’s advocates have argued that the board showed racial bias in its handling of his case, leading to an external review of the student conduct process which began on Oct. 28 and is expected to take 60 days.

Schulz released a statement that the university will follow through with the judge’s decision.

“We respect today’s decision by the Whitman County Superior Court,” Schulz wrote, “and immediately will reinstate Robert Barber as a student at Washington State University in good academic standing.”

WSU Athletics Director Bill Moos issued a statement saying that WSU football Head Coach Mike Leach will determine Barber’s playing status, but Leach has been adamant in the past that Barber would continue playing if it were up to him.

Graham said in post-hearing news conference that although Barber will be allowed to return to class, the judge could ultimately rule against him in his final decision in the spring.

“It’s just today we’re here to say Robert gets to go to class, Robert gets to play,” Graham said. “So we’re happy about that.”

Barber said he is looking forward to being back on campus.

“I can’t wait to be on the field,” he said, “and in the classroom.”