College of Medicine adds four deans

With the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine’s accreditation team set to vote this month on whether to grant accreditation, the college has hired four new deans, according to a WSU News release.

Founding Dean John Tomkowiak said in the release that, although none of the deans have been with WSU long, they’re already making contributions to the college.

“I think they all recognize, as I do, how exciting it is to have the opportunity to build a new medical school from the ground up,” Tomkowiak said.

Daniel Teraguchi, the new associate dean of student affairs, was previously the assistant dean of student affairs at Johns Hopkins University College of Medicine for eight years. According to his WSU biography, he is originally from southeast Idaho and received his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees from Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho.

Ann Poznanski, the new associate dean of curriculum, and Ralitsa Akins, the new associate dean of faculty talent, recognition and enhancement, are both from the California Northstate University College of Medicine in Elk Grove, California. There, Poznanski was the assistant dean of curriculum and Akins was the senior associate dean for medical education, according to their bios.

Cooper is the new interim assistant dean of medical student scholarship and was the associate director of the University of British Columbia’s M.D. Undergraduate program.

Reporting by Sarah Olsen