Vision clinic business ramping up

The WSU Vision Clinic opened in March and now sees 8 – 13 patients per day

Though business was initially slow for the WSU Vision Clinic when it opened in March, since the fall semester began, it has averaged 8 – 13 appointments with the optometrist per day.

Denise Robertson, manager of the WSU Vision Clinic, said the clinic opened at a tough time because it was spring break, so students were more focused on finals and graduation. Most of the clientele over the summer were graduate students and international students that didn’t go home, she said.

“It wasn’t super busy,” Robertson said, “but we were pleased with the amount of people that we did see considering that it was summer time.”

Over the summer, staff focused on promoting the clinic through emails and attending Alive! sessions, she said.

“I think that was really helpful too,” Robertson said. “Just getting the word out.”

On Sept. 9, WSU released an announcement to remind the community that the vision clinic is only open to students. Robertson said the clinic had been trying to open the dispensary to everyone, but a WSU policy prevented that from happening.

The clinic is also open for people to just walk in, look at sunglasses and purchase contacts if they have an existing prescription from their optometrist back home, she said. The clinic also adjusts glasses frames and sells contact lens solutions as well as other accessories.

She said the goal of the clinic is to make it convenient for students so they don’t have to leave campus for their vision needs.

“We’re excited to take care of them,” she said. “We’re happy to be here.”

Reporting by Sarah Olsen