WSU men’s cross-country team takes first place

The Washington State men’s cross country team took home a first place finish at the Inland Empire Invitational in Lewiston, ID.

The Cougars won by a landslide, finishing with 37 points, while Gonzaga finished with 69 points and Idaho with 70 to round out the top three teams.

Freshman Justin Janke finished first overall with a time of 24 minutes, nine seconds. Not far behind was sophomore Jake Finney, finishing in third place at 24 minutes, 23 seconds.

Also finishing in the top-10 was redshirt junior Jackson Haselnus in fifth place, with a time of 24 minutes, 28 seconds.

In a field of 34 athletes, the rest of the Cougar team placed well. Sophomore Reid Muller finished 11th with a time of 25:01. Freshman Cameron Dean placed 17th in 25:11.

Other Cougar men competing were freshman Isaac Wadhwani 23rd (25:22) and senior Alex Simpson 28th (25:30).

The women’s team placed fourth out of the five teams that competed. The Cougars were led by redshirt freshman Tracy Myers, who finished the 5000-meter course in 10th (17:51).

Senior Steffie Pavey finished 20th (18:25) while freshman Marie Gaudin and junior Mallori Lindberg ran the course in 18:36 for 25th and 26th.

Also scoring WSU was freshman Alexis Redfield in 30th (18:59). Other runners were freshman Elizabeth Perez-Bossut in 42nd (19:31) and senior Alexys Garcia in 45th (20:03).

The men’s team took ninth place out of 28 teams at the Eighth Annual Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational on Friday.

No. 1 Northern Arizona won the Invitational with 78 points, followed by No. 11 Stanford with 118 points and No. 3 BYU with 144 points to round off the top three finishers. The Cougs finished with a total of 283 points.

The Cougars’ finish received recognition by the United States Track and Field/Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA), earning votes to be in the top-30. WSU was the top team of all the non-ranked teams competing.

WSU junior Michael Williams led the Cougs with a 15th place finish with a time of 24 minutes, 11.4 seconds. Senior John Whelan finished in 23rd with a time of 24 minutes and 21. 9 seconds, the second best finish for a Coug.

The women’s team finished fourth overall in their race. Junior Devon Bortfeld led the Cougs with a fourth place finish with a time of 21:22.9. Senior Morgan Willson placed 18th, recording a time of 21 minutes and 57.1 seconds.

The next competitions for the Cougar men’s and women’s teams are the Pac-12 Cross Country Championships, taking place on Oct. 28 at the Randolph North Golf Club in Tucson, Arizona.