Senate refers ‘Drive to 25’ initiative to external committee

The ASWSU Senate sent a resolution to support the “Drive to 25” campaign back to the External Committee for further review at its meeting on Wednesday. President Kirk Schulz’s Drive to 25 campaign aims to establish WSU in the nation’s top 25 public research universities by 2030.

Senator Kevin Schilling of the College of Arts and Sciences introduced skepticism to the Senate floor after asking the virtue of the resolution.

“The gist of my concern,” Schilling said, “is we are spreading awareness of a campaign that (students) had no part in creating.”

Schilling also said it was “ill-conceived” for ASWSU to support a campaign that lacks student input. Additionally, he said he is concerned none of the initiative’s goals specifically focus on student success. He said the campaign does not appear to be in line with the triad of the land grant mission: teaching excellence, research and public service.

Senator Garrett Kalt of the College of Communication, who authored the resolution, said he brought it before the Senate to show student support and give students an opportunity to voice concern. He also said ASWSU must make sure students are aware of university initiatives.

All-campus Senator Matthew Morrow, who sponsored the bill, said the success of the Drive to 25 could increase funding for the university. He cited his own experience using outdated tools and computer software to show how a lack of funding can hinder a student’s education.

Senator Victor Charoonsophonsak of the College of Engineering and Architecture introduced the motion to refer the resolution back to the External Committee.

“This is the direction of the university,” Charoonsophonsak said. “Student input is very valuable and we want to modify and help to improve the plan.”

At last week’s meeting, the Senate failed to reach a two-thirds vote to appoint an all-campus senator. At Wednesday’s meeting, 17 of 19 senators voted to appoint Derrick Wallace after Seth Hansen withdrew his candidacy for the position. Wallace said he plans to get more students involved in ASWSU committees.

The Senate unanimously confirmed Brandon Townsend as chair of the Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA). Townsend said after two years of involvement with GSA, he knows what works. He wants the alliance to improve its connections with other diversity organizations. Townsend said he plans to create groups to promote diversity in STEM fields as well.

The Senate unanimously confirmed Kelsey Phariss as director of the It’s On Cougs campaign to prevent sexual violence.

Phariss said she wants to help create focus groups specifically for Greek students, athletes and freshmen to learn more about their understanding of sexual assault and consent. She said she wants to use ASWSU’s resources to work with Green Dot to promote the effective parts of their program.

“The solution is not telling people not to rape,” Phariss said. “The solution is education.”

The Senate also unanimously confirmed Jason Lee as a member of the elections board. Lee said his experience in mediation makes him fit for the job, and he ensured the election will be unbiased and fair for all candidates.

Senator Courtney Crouch of the College of Agricultural, Human and Natural Resource Sciences said “ASWSU Comes to You” will be in the CUB on Oct. 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. ASWSU representatives will ask students to share their thoughts on certain fees and charges.

“It’s college. It’s money,” Crouch said. “We should probably talk about it.”

Applications for the College of Education senator position are still open.