ASWSU approves funding for student organization projects

ASWSU Senators having a discussion during their weekly meeting on Sept. 21 in the CUB, where they voted in favor of funding many student organizations.

The ASWSU Senate unanimously voted at its meeting Wednesday to provide $3,000 to the United Greek Council for its Second Annual Professional Leadership Development Summit.

The summit will feature workshops and a keynote speech targeted to develop the skills of multicultural students, said Jesus Hernandez, vice president of finance and fundraising for the council.

The Council invited students from universities across Washington, Idaho and Oregon to attend the summit, Hernandez said.

“Hopefully this will be a national event by 2020,” he said.

Hernandez also said he hopes WSU’s multicultural Greek community will be among the nation’s best by the same year.

The Senate also unanimously voted to provide $2,000 to the Association of Bangladeshi Students and Scholars (ABSS) to host Bangladeshi Night.

ABSS will present Bangladeshi culture through food, song, dance and a fashion show. Members will pass out posters on campus and at Pullman’s Farmers Market to spread information about the cultural celebration.

Tickets to Bangladeshi Night, which will take place Oct. 16, will be $10 for WSU students and $12 for other attendees.

The Senate also unanimously confirmed Bailey Fillinger to the Judicial Board. Fillinger has experience in government and leadership from being part of ASWSU’s lobby team, her job as a Cougar Connector and her experience as an intern for Montana Senator Jon Tester.

She wants to improve public outreach and awareness of the Judicial Board by attending and sponsoring events to engage students. She said students should know the judicial board is an option for involvement.