Regents approve president’s objectives

The Board of Regents approved WSU President Kirk Schulz’s goals and objectives proposal for 2016-2017 at its meeting on Friday. The proposal outlines goals in 10 categories, from communications to town-gown relationships, that Schulz will have direct involvement in over the coming months.

One of the first objectives listed is balancing the Athletics budget within four years. Schulz and Athletics Director Bill Moos presented to the regents a plan to reduce the $13 million per year deficit, which included a $100 per year student fee and increased donor contributions.

The proposal mentions a third WSU fundraising campaign for between $1.5 billion and $2 billion, as well as plans to raise more than $130 million in 2016-2017.

Financial operations heads the list, with objectives including development of an annual financial review process for all university units, as well as a plan to replace outdated financial software and infrastructure.

This follows a letter Schulz sent out four months ago expressing concerns about the university’s budget. In the letter, he said WSU has spent more money annually than it has brought in over the past couple year. Additionally, he said the university has not had a formal budgeting process for a number of years.

Several national leadership searches are included in the proposal, for vice presidents for administration and finance, student affairs, and marketing and communications. In connection with this last position, the proposal contains more goals for communications than any other category.

Among these are monthly updates to the campus community and the regents, town-hall meetings with each college every fall semester, and use of social media to engage faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends. Schulz has said he wants to increase WSU’s reach nationally and internationally.

“I don’t think we’re telling the stories of our successes as well as we could,” Schulz said.

The proposal also mentions finalizing plans for the Pullman-Moscow Airport expansion and strengthening relationships with Pullman, the University of Washington and state legislators.

Other objectives include receiving preliminary accreditation for the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, recruiting the first class of students and launching the “Drive to 25” to place WSU in the top 25 research universities in the country by 2030.

Reporting by Cody Cottier