Reader reactions: ‘Letter to the editor: WSU Athletics should consider alternatives to student fee’

Readers react to a letter to the editor from Pullman resident Andrew Child. He argues that WSU Athletics’ plan to close their $13 million deficit with a new student fee would result in some students using loan money to pay the fee. Child suggests alternatives such as increasing student tickets, penalizing head coaches, garnishing wages of administrators and auctioning off the president’s box at football games.

Read the full letter here.

Barbara L. Feil: “It’s just another example of how the rich and powerful pass their mistakes onto the backs of regular folks. It is not ethical, fair or wise.”

Jake Kirsch: “I think the whole ‘make the students who like sports pay for it’ suggestion misses the point. Just liking sports doesn’t mean we should be responsible for their financial irresponsibility either. This is all the administrators’ fault, and they should be held solely responsible.”

Debbie Jones Tompkins: “Just received a call from WSU asking for a donation as we are alumni. This year we told the caller that we would not donate as our way to protest. … While we realize that there are many good parts to the university, sometimes a financial stand needs to be taken. I only hope the students take a stand to protect their financial rights.”

Dean Allen Shuey: “It is hard to break one’s addiction to collegiate sports, but the coaches and sports administrators are doing their best to get us to give it up.”

Shane Reynolds: “The problem with penalizing coaches in reality is that no other school does it, so suddenly the job becomes very undesirable. Without quality coaches, it’s likely the team will become obsolete again. And whether we like it or not, football is exciting to alumni and encourages donations. Schools no longer can operate on tuition alone and rely heavily on donor bases. It would seem justified to penalize coaches for losses but poor for the school.”

Editor’s note: The comments used in reader reactions are selected from public responses to stories on The Daily Evergreen’s Facebook page. The names listed with the comments are those provided as the individual’s identity on Facebook.