WSU women’s tennis looking for another win over BYU

By Gabriel Bravo Evergreen reporter

This upcoming weekend the WSU women’s tennis team will head to Provo, Utah, to compete in the BYU Invitational on the university’s outdoor tennis courts.

In last season’s meeting between WSU and BYU, WSU won at home on the Simmelink Tennis Courts at Hollingbery Fieldhouse 6-1.

At the end of the competition, then-sophomore Donika Bashota set a new record for most single-season victories at 34. She also passed her freshman record of 31 wins.

Then-senior Maria Biryukova also played well as the team’s No. 2 singles player. Biryukova won all three sets in scores of 6-2, 2-6, 6-1.

In the doubles, WSU fared well against BYU. The No. 1 doubles team of Bashota and senior Victoria Matejevic were leading BYU’s senior Mayci Jones and junior Toby Miclat in a close 4-3 match before play was stopped.

“Washington State is always tough on the road. They played well and executed better on deuce points than we did,” BYU Head Coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said after the match.

WSU won both singles and doubles play at the Cougar Classic at Hollingbery Fieldhouse last weekend in the team’s season-opening tournament.

In doubles play, sophomores Barbora Michalkova and Aneta Miksovska defeated Boise State sophomore Hanna Kantenwein and senior Milena Toseva by a set score of 6-2. WSU also won the consolation final of doubles play as Matejevic and freshman Melisa Ates beat University of Montana seniors Hannah Sulz and Ana Carbo 6-2.

In the singles, Midsovska won the individual title for the Crimson Flight over fellow teammate Michalkova 6-1, 6-3. Ates won the title for the Gray Flight against fellow freshman Lejla Colic, 7-6(3), 6-4.

For BYU, this weekend’s tournament will be the first of its season and the final for seniors Mayci Jones, Natella Nabieva, Demi Perkinson and Savannah Ware.

During her junior year, Jones was named to the All-WCC second-team for singles, received WCC Doubles Honorable Mention honors with teammate junior Toby Miclat and WCC Doubles Players of the Week for Feb. 9-15.

In her junior year, Nabieva received All-WCC Academic Honorable Mention honors and posted a 5-4 record in singles against WCC opponents.

Results of the three-day tournament will be posted on wsucougars.com and byucougars.com