Program could lead to fewer canceled classes

Academic coaches would host workshops in place of class for planned absences

JACQUI THOMASSON

Academic Success Coach Katie Reilly speaks about the academic and career developmental services the program offers in place of a canceled class on Friday at the Lighty Student Services building.

ANGELICA RELENTE, Evergreen editor-in-chief

Professors may not have to cancel class so often this semester.

The Academic Success and Career Center launched the Don’t Cancel Class Program in hopes of honing students’ academic habits, according to the ASCC website.

ASCC Academic Coach Katie Reilly said the ASCC noticed an interest from faculty in having academic coaches host workshops instead of canceling class. Faculty might need to cancel class due to a conference they have to attend or prior obligations.

Reilly said they also created the program in hopes of publicizing ASCC’s services to a broader audience.

“Rather than wasting a day canceling a class — which I know a lot of students will probably wish that they could have — they can use it as an opportunity to develop skills,” she said.

Faculty can visit the ASCC website to request a workshop from an academic coach, Reilly said. ASCC only provides academic-focused workshops for now but will offer career-focused workshops within the next couple of weeks.

She said career-focused workshops will cover how students can prepare for post-college life, as well as how to develop skills that can transition them into the workforce. Professors must request two weeks prior to the day they have to cancel, but requests sent in later than that will still be reviewed.

ASCC Assistant Director Alicia Petersen said she collected feedback about the program from some faculty in different departments before it officially launched. One professor suggested providing information on how faculty can communicate the importance of the workshops to students.

“We took that feedback and we’re going to try to figure out how to incorporate some active worksheets or something along those lines that faculty can use like extra credit points,” Petersen said.

ASCC offers workshops that cover topics like time management, as well as learning and studying strategies, according to the website.

ASCC Academic Coach Kiersten Guetlein said the time management workshop would cover how to use a planner and how to make sure work is done on time. Studying strategies, on the other hand, covers how to improve retention and prepare for exams.

Reilly said the skills students can learn from the workshops can make a difference in their grades.

“I think a lot of students don’t realize how valuable academic coaching could be and the really positive things that could happen,” Reilly said.

Reilly said they want to invoke “aha moments” for students through the workshops.

“The thing that I teach during workshops … are things I wish I would have known as an undergrad,” Reilly said. “It certainly would have made my life a lot easier.”

Guetlein said academic coaching helps students attain skills that they do not get in high school.

“If you’re looking at truly trying to make the most of your education,” Guetlein said. “It is better for students to be getting the time spent developing these skills versus just canceling class.”