Women’s soccer will take on undefeated TCU

The WSU women’s soccer team will leave the state of Washington for the first time this season, Friday to take on the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs on their home turf in Fort Worth Texas.

The Horned Frogs will go into the game undefeated, with a (5-0) record after taking down Texas Southern (7-0) last Sunday. The seven goals were divided amongst three TCU players, junior Allison Ganter, senior Michelle Prokof, and sophomore Faith Carter. Ganter was the high scorer, netting three goals and earning a hat trick.

WSU also had a successful weekend, winning both of their games at home. Sophomore Alysha Overland’s dual goals secured a Cougar victory against Montana on Friday, closing out the game 2-1, improving their record to (2-2).

Freshman Morgan Weaver’s unceasing scoring contributed to a second WSU win over the weekend against North Dakota State, where she netted three goals. Senior Kailiana Johnson and freshman Katie Jones also scored for the Cougars, finishing with a 5-0 win.

The avoidance of being a “first half team” will be key for the Cougars in breaking the Horned Frogs winning streak. Out of the nine goals made by the Cougars this season, seven were made in the first half. On the flip side, TCU has scored 11 out of the 18 made this season in the second half of match-play.

“They’re rolling right now,” said Head Coach Todd Shulenberger on TCU. “They’re playing with a little bit of passion now and they’re playing with urgency as well.”

The two teams last met to kick off the 2014-2015 season on the Lower Soccer Field in Pullman.

The game was delayed three hours due to a storm, but neither the weather or the Horned Frogs were able to stop the Cougars who handed TCU a 3-0 defeat.

Johnson, a sophomore at the time, converted a penalty kick for the Cougars in the 28th minute, putting them on the board.

“One thing about our team is that we are pretty resilient on the road, we like big crowds and I like our training as of today,” Shulenberger said.

The soccer match will kick off at 5 p.m. Pacific Southern Time in Forth Worth, Texas.