WSU ranked 47 in public research institutions nationally

WSU was ranked as the 47th top public research university in the nation in 2014, according to the Center for Measuring University Performance’s (CMUP) latest report.

President Kirk Schulz said he plans to move WSU to the top 25 by 2030.

At the first of 15 town hall sessions to discuss the “Drive to 25,” Schulz and Provost Dan Bernardo explained that in order to track the success of the initiative, WSU’s Institutional Effectiveness Council will use eight of the 10 metrics the CMUP uses to evaluate universities. The metrics relate to research and development expenditures, faculty achievements, and student standardized test scores.

Two metrics, median SAT scores and number of National Merit and Achievement scholars, will most likely not be taken into account. Prioritizing SAT scores in admissions would go against WSU’s mission of accessibility, which is “part of our DNA,” Schulz said.

“I think those two metrics are going to be dropped as we continue to have dialogue,” Schulz said. “I like variables that we can control by hustle, by hiring and retaining faculty, by bringing in fantastic graduate and undergraduate students.”

Schulz said ideas and constructive criticism related to the “Drive to 25” initiative are essential because it is important that the entire WSU community remain involved and engaged in the process. He encouraged town hall attendees to write in comment cards or reply on the publicly accessible “Drive to 25” website, explaining how they would improve WSU’s research by 2030.

Schulz spoke of his goal to highlight faculty and student achievements in research and academics, which he said would be more effectively communicated by the person to fill the newly created position of Vice President of Marketing Communications.

Despite the emphasis on becoming a top 25 public research institution, Bernardo said that WSU aims to provide a “transformative student experience,” including projects aimed to increase student retention and graduation rates. According to Bernardo, WSU would provide a top 25 undergraduate experience as well.

Town hall meetings will continue through Oct. 14 for students, faculty and staff in each WSU college and campus. The meeting for the College of Education will take place from 2 – 3 p.m. today in the CUB Jr. Ballroom and for the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture from 4 – 5 p.m. in the CUB Auditorium.