Parking permit sales to resume

Staff reports

The first phase of resuming WSU campus parking permit sales will begin today for students living in residence halls.

Although Crimson zone parking permits are already sold out, students can purchase permits for the Blue and Gray zones starting at 7 a.m. online and over the counter, according to a WSU news release.

All other students, faculty and staff can purchase permits starting Thursday, according to the release.

“We’re trying to do this in little, smaller chunks,” said John Shaheen, director of Transportation Services.

Shaheen said they have received complaints from permit holders who have expectations that are not being met, since parking in permit lots has been free for the past few days.

Some people are getting to campus early enough to get a parking spot, he said, but not all of the permit holders.

“It’s inconvenient for folks,” Shaheen said, “and hopefully they’re finding some other ways to cope, alternative ways to get to campus.”

Shaheen said he has tried to provide suggestions for other transportation options, including using Pullman Transit, carpooling, and biking or walking if the person lives close enough.

The trouble began when the Transportation Services server crashed on Aug. 16, the opening day for permit sales. WSU Information Technology (IT) Services employees have since concluded that the system could not handle everyone trying to buy permits at the same time.

After reviewing the system and testing it under different loads, Shaheen said the IT team believes Transportation Services can avoid similar incidents in the future.

“They’re confident and we’re confident,” Shaheen said. “And we’re ready to go.”

Reporting by Sarah Olsen and Cody Cottier