Tobacco, nicotine to be banned on campus in fall

WSU students, faculty and staff will return to a more health-conscious campus in August, as the newly adopted administrative code banning all tobacco and nicotine products goes into effect.

The Board of Regents formally accepted Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 504-38 in October, according to WSU News.

The rules outlined in WAC 504-38 prohibit all tobacco and nicotine products, including cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars, hookahs and all forms of smokeless tobacco.

Nicotine patches, gum, lozenges and all other products containing nicotine will also be banned on campus.

“Our primary drive is voluntary compliance,” said Adam Jussel, director of the Office of Student Conduct. “Public health is the main concern.”

Use of tobacco and nicotine in research projects approved by the university and in nicotine cessation programs are exempt from the new policy.

“Our primary goal is to promote good health,” said Dwight Hagihara, executive director of environmental health and safety and risk management.

Health & Wellness Services provides tobacco and nicotine cessation programs for students, faculty and staff.

These programs are free to currently enrolled students who have paid their student health fee, and nicotine replacements are provided at no charge to those who regularly attend counseling sessions.

Reporting by Dana Jensen