Students host Mom’s Weekend fashion show

The 33rd Annual Mom’s Weekend Fashion Show, titled “Euphoria,” features garments created by both undergraduate and graduate students.

For those looking to spice up their Mom’s Weekend festivities, the 33rd Annual Mom’s Weekend Fashion Show is the place to be tonight. The student-run and produced fashion show is a sophisticated, family-friendly event for Cougs, their moms and families around Pullman. This year’s show is titled “Euphoria.”

“Our design students are the ones that create the garments that will go down the runway. We will feature junior, senior, and graduate-level work,” director of the fashion show Amy Hughes said.

The volunteers who give their time to support the apparel, merchandising, design and textiles department make the show possible, she said.

“Our models are all volunteer students here at WSU. In the end of the fall semester, we hold open model calls around campus and try to recruit some models,” Hughes said.

Senior Apparel Design major Dominique Norman created a plus-sized collection for this years’ Fashion Show, bringing variety to the modeled clothing.

Apparel design and merchandising students have been working tirelessly in the past few weeks to finish up their pieces for the show, but more goes into the show than just the clothes, Hughes said.

“The show is also produced by students as well. Students in our department can take the Fashion Show Production class, these students learn how to put on a major event and design it,” Hughes said.

Students who are studying to enter the design and merchandising industry have dedicated huge amounts of time and effort to this event, she said.

“I have students that told me today that they’ve been in the sewing lab for 24 hours straight trying to get their garments done for the show, so students are under a lot of pressure to get things done for the show,” Hughes said.

La Bella Hair Salon in Pullman is donating their time to do all of the model’s hair for the show, while Flirt, another local business, donated accessories for the event, she said. In addition, other industry icons are lending items to the events.

“Nordstrom and the Camuto Group donated over 50 pairs shoes, so that’s really exciting because it gives the show an extra level of sophistication and coolness,” Hughes said.

The Annual Mom’s Weekend Fashion show allows design majors the opportunity to get their clothes on the runway and to share their art.

“We end the night on Friday night, which is another exciting way for WSU students to spend the weekend with their moms. It’s a good way for the community to see what we’re doing and be entertained at the same time” she said.

WSU’s 33rd Annual Mom’s Weekend Fashion Show will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 8, in Beasley Coliseum. Tickets are $12 online and $16 at the door.