ASWSU senate fills positions

The ASWSU Senate at its meeting on Wednesday, during which it selected senators and other positions for next year’s ASWSU staff.

While the last meeting of the 45th ASWSU Senate ran short and simple, the first meeting of the 46th Senate on Wednesday ran long as it elected new representatives to fill numerous positions.

In a 15-2-2 vote, the Senate elected returning senator Garvin Price as the new pro-tempore. Price said he has noticed not everyone from the 45th Senate has been on the same page, and he wants to get to know everyone on the Senate individually and improve communication.

With numerous departures from the Senate last semester, Price said the majority of the Senate’s time went to re-filling new positions rather than serving the student body at large. He said he wants everyone on the Senate to feel welcome.

In a 13-3-0 vote, the Senate elected Mark Anthony Figueroa as the College of Arts and Sciences senator. Having previously served on the 43rd and 44th senate in the past, Figueroa said he wants to carry the positive tradition he witnessed in those previous Senates.

Figueroa said his focus will be changing the ASWSU bylaws to improve the way funds are allotted to clubs and committees.

Figueroa has already set the groundwork with other committees to make the changes work, he said, but needs to revise the bylaws first.

In a 13-3-0 vote, the Senate elected Courtney Crouch as the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences (CAHNRS) senator.

In an 18-1-0 vote, the Senate appointed Paige Campbell as the director of legislative affairs (DOLA). After being originally rejected by the 46th Senate, several people this time around spoke for her expertise.

Jansen VanderMeulen, student regent and a former DOLA, said he was more than surprised when Campbell was not accepted as DOLA. Considering feats such as her heavy involvement in Coug Day at the Capitol, VanderMeulen said no one is more qualified for the position.

“Despite her quiet voice, Paige demands respect,” he said.

With many saying the DOLA position is a thankless and difficult job, Campbell said she is happy to make a difference in students’ lives even if they are unaware of it.

In an 18-1-0 vote, the Senate appointed Sierra Sharp as director of finance. After being shot down by the Senate originally, Sharp reiterated her strong financial skills as a standout trait.

Sharp said she has numerous financial and personal goals, and she wants there to be transparency between students and their finances.

As a student paying for her education, Sharp said she wants to know where the Services and Activities Fees are going.

In a 19-0-0 vote, the Senate appointed Dominique Stewart for the diversity efforts position. Also initially rejected, Stewart said she had been caught off guard by certain questions.

However, while not having previous ASWSU experience, director of diversity efforts Sowmya Murthy said Stewart has been heavily involved in other events on campus such as the “It’s on Cougs” campaign.

Other elections include Brandon Dudley, Jordan Psyches and Andrew Zhao. In a 19-0-0 vote, the senate appointed Kourtni Jefson as election board chair.