WSU students perform “The Dinner Party”

Every year, WSU Performing Arts produces its own show for Mom’s Weekend. This year, Performing Arts presents Neil Simon’s “The Dinner Party.”

“It is essentially six people that have been invited to a dinner party, and part of the show is just figuring out why that has happened and what all of these characters have to do with each other,” director and assistant clinical professor of performing arts Mary Trotter said.

The show speaks loudly to the overarching theme of adult relationships, both romantic and platonic.

“It’s a great glimpse into the interworking of adult relationships. I always find it really interesting how we communicate to each other, regardless the type of relationships, which is something this story really addresses, just how we are all different in relationships,” Trotter said.

“The Dinner Party” can be described as a dramatic comedy, emphasizing serious and not-so-serious themes of communication.

“It’s really funny in places where you expect it to be funny and maybe in places where you don’t expect it to be funny or don’t think it should be funny, but it is,” she said.

The storyline of “The Dinner Party” is based off the multiple marriages of the playwright, Neil Simon, according to WSU Performing Arts Director Gail Siegel.

“I think this is one of those shows that everybody can relate to. Everybody has a relationship in some way, shape or form,” Trotter said.

The set was completely fabricated on site by WSU students of multiple areas of study outside of Performing Arts.

“This is a main-stage production with a full set that is a result of a collaboration between Performing Arts and the School of Design, Construction Management, and the College of Engineering,” Siegel said.

“The Dinner Party” features one of the smallest casts WSU Performing Arts has yet to present, spotlighting six actors. With such a small onstage cast, the actors strive to build a connection with their audience.

“I think that any students should experience as much live art and performance as they possibly can, because there is a magic that takes place between the actors and the audience that is not moderated by a screen,” Siegel said.

For those looking for a break from mainstream digital media, “The Dinner Party” offers an experience with no technological boundaries.

“I think, especially since we’re so attached to our various devices, that actually putting them down and being in a live atmosphere where art is being performed is really important for everyone,” Siegel said.

“The Dinner Party” will show tonight and Saturday at 7:30 p.m., as well as a matinee on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Jones Theatre at Daggy Hall. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for students with ID.

Reporting by Gabbie Ramos