Why are you here?

WSU professor Michael Goldsby and MIT professor Troy Van Voorhis speak at the Veritas forum.

Two professors spoke at the Veritas forum, “Why are we here?” and discussed the origin of life on Wednesday night.

Troy Van Voorhis, a chemistry professor from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, offered new perspectives as to why he believes we are here from a Christian point of view. Van Voorhis used a diagram that compared creationist and evolutionist beliefs.

“(Jesus) used these parables to try to explain something about a world that people could not see and this world we couldn’t see He called the Kingdom of God,” Van Voorhis said, when explaining his beliefs and the central idea of Christianity.

Michael Goldsby, assistant professor at WSU with a specialization in the philosophy of science, epistemology and environmental ethics, spoke from his atheistic point of view about our purpose in life and how the world has evolved into the way it is today.

Goldsby said he believes what gives meaning to life is the people we surround ourselves with and each person we have encountered or have yet to encounter holds meaning. He said the motivation to do good in the world and act morally comes naturally to him and the people in his life are part of the incentive.

Although these professors had different perspectives, they were able to come to the agreement that they both could be incorrect in their theories, but neither of their ideas have been proven inaccurate.

“I can’t just state there is nothing eternal. That’s what I believe. Troy believes differently. One of us is wrong but I’m betting we’re both reasonable,” Goldsby said.

At the end of the discussion, students lined up at two microphones to get their questions answered by the professors. There was also a reception afterwards, where the professors stayed to discuss their ideas with the students.

The Veritas forum, “Why are we here?” was sponsored by ASWSU, WSU’s School of Politics, Philosophy and Public Affairs and Campus Christian Ministries.

Reporting by Latisha Jensen