Tennis picks up wins against Utah, Colorado

Already on pace for a historic season, the WSU tennis team picked up a pair of home wins Friday and Sunday against Utah and Colorado.

The Cougars (16-4) kept rolling as freshman Aneta Miksovska helped clinch an important win in singles play to ensure the Cougars a win against the Utes (10-5).

After she won her first set, Miksovska was tied at 4-4 in the second and got a vital game after she fended off three break points. The match ended up going to a tiebreaker that Miksovska won, 7-4.

The Cougars struggled to get the opening point in doubles competition, which has been a recurring weakness so far this season. After losing the opening point, the Cougars responded with wins from seniors Maria Biryukova and Trang Huynh. Biryukova defeated senior Sarah Richter, 7-6(5), 6-1. Huynh beat her opponent, sophomore Jena Cheng, in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.

Sophomore Donika Bashota added to the win column by defeating sophomore Margo Pletcher, 6-3, 7-5. Bashota was off to a great start in the second set only to see Pletcher play herself back into the match before Bashota landed the final blow. After Bashota’s match, Miksovska finished the Utes off, which stopped senior Lize Leenknecht’s match in its tracks. Leenknecht was narrowly behind her opponent, sophomore Alex Petrovic, 4-6, 6-1, 3-4, when the match was abandoned.

Huynh’s victory was her 28th of the season, while Bashota tallied her 33rd.

The Cougars were back at it Sunday morning at the outdoor tennis courts against the Buffaloes (6-9).

This time it was the Cougars who started strong with all three doubles teams taking the lead against the Buffaloes. Only two matches counted as the Cougs won their first two matches, 6-3, 6-3. The pairings of Biryukova/Huynh and Bashota/Leenknecht took care of business. Freshman Barbora Michalkova teamed up with Miksovska, as the two took a commanding 5-3 lead before the match was abandoned.

Leenknecht was the first Cougar to win her singles match. Despite trailing 2-1 in the first set, Leenknecht won the next four games and won 6-2, 6-3. Miksovska followed that up with a 6-3, 6-1 win.

Huynh got to match point twice, but her opponent, freshman Annabelle Andrinopoulos, fought back. Huynh was too strong though as she managed to win her third match point to secure the Cougars’ second consecutive Pac-12 win.

Michalkova won a third-set tiebreaker, 6-4, 6-7(7), 1-0(10-4). Bashota ended up losing the final match to junior Nuria Ormeno Ruiz in a hotly contested match, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.

The Cougars will host BYU at noon on Friday.

Reporting by Alex Payton