Student spreads coffee, cheer

By Rebecca White

Most students, especially those living in apartment land and relying on public transportation to get to class, don’t have time in the mornings to make coffee or get breakfast.

After a mission trip to Pullman four years ago, local graduate student Derek Lambert, decided to serve students by giving out coffee and hot chocolate at the Cougs Corner Mart bus stop in apartment land every Wednesday.

“When people ask why I do it, I say I do it because I love Jesus and want to serve you,” Lambert said.

Lambert is from Pullman, received his bachelors at WSU and is getting his masters in political science. He is a reserve police officer for the City of Pullman Police Department and does his ministry through Pullman Foursquare Church. Lambert also spent eight years in the U.S. Navy as a master-at-arms.

During one of his mission trips to Portland, he realized he wanted to do something for students. After returning to Pullman, he expanded his college ministry, Awake, to going to the bus stop to serve coffee and hot chocolate and chat with the students there.

“I like seeing it every morning, it really cheers up my Wednesdays,” said Alex Carno, a senior Digital Technology and Culture (DTC) major.

Hannah Cade, a junior studying pre nursing at the bus stop said she really appreciates the coffee and conversation in the morning when she’s in a hurry and doesn’t have time to make it herself.

“I know he is trying to connect with students and let them know there’s community around them,” Cade said.

Lambert pays for the hot chocolate himself. Café Moro donates the coffee and Pullman Foursquare Church donates the other supplies for the students.