Bashota, Huynh lead the way for Cougar tennis in Hawaii

Sophomore Donika Bashota returns a volley during a match against San Francisco at the Outdoor Tennis Courts, April 18, 2015.

After finishing the 2015 fall season with a 15-1 record, sophomore Donika Bashota earned herself a No. 6 regional ranking and a No. 83 national ranking despite being handed her second singles loss of the season to No. 77 Gabriela Talaba of Texas Tech.

The Cougars flew to Hawaii to take on nationally ranked Texas Tech, University of Missouri and University of Hawaii at the Royal Lahaina Tennis Ranch in Maui.

Bashota started strong with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Missouri’s Brianna Lashway, which was the only Cougars win in singles competition on the day.

Going up against No. 17 Texas Tech and Talaba though seemed too much for Bashota as she lost in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.

Unfortunately for Bashota, things did not get any better in doubles. Paired up with senior Lize Leenknecht, the two lost to Hawaii’s Cindy Nguyen and Roxanne Resma 7-6(4). Their next match was against University of Missouri and this time Lashway and her teammate Cassidy Spearman were able to hand Bashota and Leenknecht their second consecutive loss. Taking it to the wire, Lashway and Spearman edged out Bashota and Leenknecht, 7-5.

Seniors Trang Huynh and Maria Biryukova both won their final matches. Huynh beat Hawaii’s Resma 7-5, 6-1 in straight sets, while Biryukova beat Texas Tech’s Autumn Crossnoe, 8-6.

Biryukova followed up her singles win with a doubles victory. Partnered with junior Victoria Matejevic, the pair beat Hawaii’s Marina Hruba and Paulina Petriskova, 6-2.

An exciting match on the third day was between freshman Barbora Michalkova and Petriskova. The match went to the tiebreaker, where Petriskova was able to fend off Michalkova, 6-4, 5-7, 10-5.

The Cougars return to Pullman to face Montana State and Idaho Jan. 15. They will face Montana State at 11 a.m. and Idaho at 5 p.m. Both matches will be played at Hollingbery Fieldhouse.

Reporting by Alex Payton