Letter from the Editor: Evergreeners are here to serve readers

Editor-in-chief is excited for spring semester; students will report truth

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Evergreen editor-in-chief Emma Ledbetter is ready to hear from readers via email at [email protected].

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

Dear Reader,

If I’m being honest, I’ve always struggled to write letters from the editor; I need serious inspiration to crank out a “leditor.” Even if my goal is simply to introduce myself, as it is here, I spend way too much time agonizing over how to convey that message.

This is my chance to communicate directly to readers, and that feels like a lot of pressure. 

As I sat down to write this, I could not help but reminisce on one of the first “leditors” I ever wrote, back when I was Mint editor in spring 2019. My formula to my then-self was to include a mix of humor, advice and genuine sentiment. Little did I know, that formula was one my future-self (now my current-self) would find very handy as editor-in-chief. 

Genuine sentiment was never my strong suit, so I’ll start there.

I am beyond excited for my role at The Daily Evergreen this semester. I always imagined being editor-in-chief, but I never expected it was something I would actually have time for, let alone have the skills for.

Now that I’m here, I realize I have the perfect name for the job. Emma Ledbeditor. I’ll let that sink in.

I will say, I do not feel fully prepared for my job. Being at the helm of the Evergreen is no small task. However, I know we have an amazing team of editors who are working hard to train staff members, assign relevant stories, catch errors and package everything with a neat little bow on top.

We will make mistakes. I know that. But I hope we can learn from them and become better journalists. I ask that you have patience with us as we learn and grow. 

Even though we are students, I assure you we are dedicated to reporting the truth for our readers. 

Here is my advice: Please do not hesitate to tell me how we can improve. We wouldn’t exist without the people in this community, so we are always looking for ways to better serve you, the reader. 

My email is open to you, and I welcome your feedback. 

Now, if you have made it this far, you are probably expecting some humor. You slogged through my sentiment and advice, so here is your reward. 

What is the difference between a cat and a comma? 

One has claws at the end of its paws, the other is a pause at the end of a clause. (It’s better if you say it out loud, I promise.)

My email has changed, but my leditor ending has not. As always, feel free to email me at [email protected], and I will be happy to respond. 

I’m looking forward to a great semester of serving you, dear reader!

Emma Ledbetter, Evergreen editor-in-chief