Faculty Senate shows concern for athletics budget, ONEWSU

Over 200 faculty members signed letter against proposed budget; administration discussed decentralizing state-wide campus system

SCREENSHOT OF MEETING

One senator expressed concern about how ONEWSU could change WSU degrees and impact accreditation for students depending on the campus.

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

Faculty Senate members approved sending a letter of recommendation to the WSU Board of Regents raising concern about the 2021 athletics budget plan. Senators also expressed hesitation for the proposed WSU system restructuring called ONEWSU during a meeting Thursday.

On Jan. 21, Senator Von Walden presented a one-page document calling the Board of Regents to reject the athletics department’s proposal for financial assistance of $2-3 million per year. 

Since the meeting, over 200 faculty members signed the letter in support and provided comments on the Faculty Senate blog, Senate Chair David Turnbull said. 

One senator asked if the committee thought about the “end game” of the request.

“We may or may not be successful in swaying the Regents, but we are going on record that we are paying attention to this financial issue,” said Matthew Carroll, senator and associate director of graduate programs for the WSU School of Environment.

During the discussion, several meeting attendees brought up recently released plans for ONEWSU.

The Board of Regents met for their annual retreat Jan. 22 and discussed the plans for ONEWSU, which would decentralize the state-wide campus system. WSU President Kirk Schulz and Provost Elizabeth Chilton will release articles each month to describe goals for the project.

A series of “whitepapers” was released on the WSU Faculty Senate website introducing the ONEWSU system. The most recent whitepaper shows favor toward a system where faculty members work with each other but are not considered members of the same department or school. 

New academic programs could be created depending on interested students and resources, according to the document.

In the first whitepaper, WSU administration wrote that the university plans to add another campus in Washington state by 2026 and possibly an eighth campus out of the country.

Vancouver Senator Alexander Dimitrov said he discussed the papers with constituents over many meetings. When his constituents read the information, they were angry, upset and others came close to tears.

Senator Paul Skilton expressed concern about how these plans could change WSU degrees and impact accreditation for students depending on the campus.

Carroll said colleagues asked him to bring up worries about the plan. They showed concern about no longer having statewide academic programs, which could lead to fewer relationships with faculty members in other locations. 

“As a result of all that work we’ve been able to hire a cadre of really talented research-active faculty who were hired under the assumption that they would be part of a statewide academic unit,” Carroll said. “We think it would be not in our interest at all, to have our unit balkanized.”

Faculty members can leave comments about the proposal on the Faculty Senate blog.

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to correct information about who wrote the whitepapers.

Photo of MADYSEN MCLAIN
MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

Madysen is a Senior journalism and media production major from Rosalia, Washington. She also is involved with Residence Life, the Association for Women...

• Cougar Safe Rides scales back next year due to S&A cuts

Cougar Safe Rides scales back next year due to S&A cuts

• WSU CASE are currently negotiating their first contract.

WSU student union negotiates anti-discrimination policies with management

• Brian Shuffield, Executive Director of Student Engagement Services

ASWSU fees just one part of overall Service and Activity Fees at WSU

• Academic student employees march toward WSU Pullmans French Administration Building to present their petition to the administration at a rally, May 4.

WSU stalls unionization for student employees

• Throughout her time at WSU, Jill Creighton, associate vice president of Student Affairs and dean of students/deputy Title IX coordinator, met with ASWSU, hosted a podcast for NASPA and finished her doctorate degree.

Dean of Students will leave WSU, embark on new adventure in China

• Both a group of WSU faculty and the Board of Regents have given their thoughts on President Kirk Schulzs leadership

President Schulz receives $125,000 pay raise for ‘unprecedented’ financial leadership

• WSU will increase tuition rates by 2.4%, the maximum amount allowed by law, to stabilize the universitys budget amid rising inflation and declining enrollment.

Board of Regents justifies 2.4% tuition increase

WSU staff to receive salary increase next year

• On campus, students under the age of 21 may be reported for being in the same room with drugs, even if they did not consume the substance.

Campus cannabis policies ensure federal funding, financial aid

• An initiative introduced in February aimed to reduce the number of standing meetings on Fridays and encouraged department leaders to limit virtual meetings to 45 minutes.

Survey released to gauge success of university work-life balance initiative