Kirk Schulz to retire in June 2025

Schulz first announced his retirement to the Board of Regents last June, will have served for nine years
STEPHEN MURNANE | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE
WSU President Kirk Schulz and his staff will move from French Administration to the Town Centre Building on Main Street.

WSU President Kirk Schulz announced his plan to retire in June 2025 on April 19.

Schulz made the announcement in a mass email and a video alongside his wife Noel. Schulz told the Board of Regents his plan to retire last June according to the email.

“Over this next academic year, I will focus my time and energy on stabilizing our enrollment, initiating a system‑wide strategic administrative and programmatic review, determining a long‑term home for Cougar Athletics and continuing to aggressively fundraise as part of our current comprehensive fundraising campaign,” Schulz said. 

Schulz was initially appointed the 12th President by the Board of Regents in 2016. His email said he and the Board are initiating the search for a successor, according to the email.

The search for a successor will be conducted by national firm Isaacson, Miller, which is also conducting the ongoing search for a new provost, according to the Seattle Times.

After leaving the presidency, Schulz will be remaining in Washington and taking a year off to write and mentor leaders in education, according to the email. Noel Schulz will be continuing as inaugural Director of the Institute for Northwest Energy Futures at the Tri‑Cities campus.

“It has been an incredible honor and the highlight of my career to serve at WSU,” Schulz said. “I look forward to the year ahead.”