Back to the roots of science, exploring nature in the Palouse

The Biology Graduate Student Association hosted science activities for children in the Palouse area to teach them about local plants and animals.

A young boy crouches in a field to sniff a dandelion. A small girl in a polka dot coat giggles as a frog hops up her arm.

In an effort to get the public engaged in nature and science, the Biology Graduate Student Association (BGSA) hosted their Palouse Outdoor Science Day at Virgil Phillips Farm Park, five miles north of Moscow.

At the park pavilion, they set up numerous exhibits and activities. Among these were bird and mammal specimens from the Conner Museum, insect specimen and a honeybee hive display from the M. T. James Entomology Museum, a yeast collection for bakers and brewers, and nature themed crafts and activities.

For a more hands-on experience, BGSA members also caught a variety of inhabitants from a nearby pond, including several insect species, frogs, skinks and salamanders. They also had mist netting, used to safely capture birds and bats. All animals were released shortly after capture.

BGSA members led several nature hikes around the park, identifying local plants and insects along the way. The walks were slow-going, as older members of the group waited while the younger children marveled at the forest around them.

“We’re targeting everyone with this, but it’s mainly for the kids,” said Robbie Zinna, vice president of the Entomology Graduate Student Association, which partnered with BGSA for the event. “For me it’s about teaching kids about insects early, so they won’t be scared later on. It’s important that people know what’s around them.”

Zinna said it’s equally important for parents to have this knowledge so they can pass it on to their children.

Justin Poinsatte, BGSA community service officer, said the program provides a unique learning experience.

“It’s good to get kids outside,” said Poinsatte. “You can look at a picture of a frog online, but it’s not the same as holding one in your hand. This was my childhood, I want to make sure it stays around.”

BGSA has hosted the Palouse Outdoor Science Day for three years now to engage people in science, and impart some of their knowledge and enthusiasm to the Pullman and Moscow communities.

Parents at the event shared the sentiments of the BGSA.

“It’s a great way to get kids outdoors and they get a little bit of adventure,” said Ian McMorrow, father of one of the children.

Watson, McMorrow’s son, cried “I don’t want to go” as the day came to an end.

BGSA is working to establish other annual events. Last fall, they put on a Science Open House in Abelson Hall. They held guided tours of the Conner Museum and greenhouse, as well as activities involving microscopy, plant anatomy, animal behavior, and microbial life. BGSA intends to continue these events in the years to come.