Editor-in-chief finds her voice working for Evergreen

Loren Negron reflects on past newspaper experiences, sets goals for fall semester

LOREN NEGRON, Evergreen editor-in-chief

During the end of the spring 2021 semester, the newsroom gave me the “She Who Quietly Watches and Witnesses Our Sins Whilst Drinking Coffee” award. It is the funniest award I have ever received in my life. Whenever I think back on this award, I am reminded of the baby Yoda meme where he is holding a cup, looking so cute and innocent. 

You could say I am the baby Yoda of the newsroom. I am tiny, standing at the height of 5 feet — and one inch. I am quiet, and I like to spend my time drinking my coffee and observing the environment and people around me.

Humor aside, I have spent my time learning and observing almost everything about the newsroom since I started working for the Evergreen in fall 2019. I have taken mental notes about its processes, its staff and the community it serves.

I am grateful I applied for the Evergreen during my first semester at WSU. I remember walking around campus asking God how a tiny person like me could make an impact on a campus as big as WSU. Right as I asked that, I saw one of the Evergreen racks and saw the words “The Student Voice of Washington State University” on the top front page of the newspaper.

Working for the Evergreen has given me the opportunity to use my love for writing to write stories that share encouragement and hope, as well as those that hold people accountable.

When I worked as a news reporter, I invested my time writing about communities of color — stories that connect close to my identity as a Filipina. I also dedicated many strenuous hours writing in-depth and investigative stories — from hazing in WSU’s fraternity system to suicide and sexual harassment.

The Evergreen has blessed me with a nurturing environment to grow personally and professionally. My editors saw a potential in me I did not even see when I first started as a news reporter. They mentored and pushed me to get out of my comfort zone so I could pursue more challenging stories and serve in editorial positions — from copy editor and news editor to editor-in-chief.

I would like to continue to nurture this spirit of mentorship during my time as editor-in-chief. I am excited to see my staff grow and pursue stories that can produce long-lasting effects in the community. 

Most importantly, I am grateful to lead a staff of student journalists who are willing to invest their time and energy to serve the WSU and Pullman communities.

As the Evergreen transitions from remote to in-person work this semester, we will continue to publish online five days a week. Our print edition will run every Thursday.

Please continue supporting student journalism. If you have any news tips or would like to work for the Evergreen, you may contact me at [email protected].

GO COUGS!